DEPARTMENT OF PHYSICAL EDUCATION AND SPORTS
The Department of Physical Education and Sports was started in 1949, the year in which the college was established. Since itsinception, many eminent teachers have served in the department. The department is known for its achievements in hockey both women and men. Students havealso participatedin other sports and games like football, cricket, chess, badminton, kabaddi, carom, table tennis, etc. at various levels and brought laurels to the college. At present, the department has two physical instructors, namely Mr Pavana Krishna.K.H. and MrRamesh.P.C.Mr Poonacha K M, Associate Professor, department of Englishhas been acting as the co-ordinator of the department since June 2018.
The department has a separate building with separate rooms for office and gym. The Ministry of Youth Service and Sports has setup a gym worth 25 lacks in 2016-17. Training in Athletics, Cricket, football and hockey are given in the main ground, which has the space for laying 400 meters track. Besides, the college has separate playing arenas for basketball, kabaddi, volleyball and ball badminton. The college auditorium is used for indoor games like shuttle badminton, table tennis, chess and carom.
Some of the major achievements of the department in the field of sports and games are
• Ms Ponnamma M.M. and Ms Leelavathi M. J. of our College represented the National Hockey team at the international level during 2014-15 and 2017-18 respectively.
• Around 10 students of F.M.K.M.Cariappa College have been representing Mangalore University women’s hockey team every year. Moreover, the University team has qualified for the All India Inter-university tournaments for the last five years.
• In the year 2015-16, the team secured Bronze medal in All India inter university tournament.
• The women’s hockey team of our college has been the champions of Mangalore University Inter-collegiate hockey tournaments for a decade.
• More than 25 students each have represented Mangalore University teams in football, hockeyand badminton for the last four years.
Sports Achevement - 2012 to 2018