The Department of Microbiology was established in the year 1998. The Department started functioning with the temporary staffs in the laboratory of Botany. It was under the administration
of the Post Graduate Department of Microbiology, Mangalore University, Cauvery Campus, Madikeri, till 2003.
In the year 2004, the Department was handed over to Field Marshal K. M. Cariappa College. Department was then headed by Mr. C. JagathThimaiah, Head, Department of Botany. Over the period of time, a number of qualified guest lecturers, with the aid from University, have served for the betterment of the department. Two permanent faculties namely Mrs. Geethanjali P. A., M. Sc., M. Phil.,and Ms. Soumya K., M. Sc., (Ph. D.),were appointed to the department by Mangalore University in December 2013 and January 2014 respectively. The charge of the department was handed over to Mrs. Geethanjali P. A., M. Sc., M. Phil.,in December 2013.
• Department of microbiology offers a Bachelor’s Degree programme in two combinations: MCB (Microbiology, Chemistry, Botany) & MCZ (Microbiology, Chemistry, Zoology).
• Teaching operates in various aspects of microbiology such as Genetics, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Food and Dairy Microbiology, Industrial, Agricultural and Environmental Microbiology.
• Department of Microbiology has a good library and well equipped laboratory. The students are encouraged to undertake research works, concerned with environment, biodiversity and biotechnology.
• To develop communication and teaching skills, student to student seminars are being conducted.
• The students are regularly being taken for field visits, research institutes and industries to inspire them for higher education and a great career.
• The Department has signed a “MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING” between FMKMCC, Madikeri &VBH Research Foundation, Killa, Bilagi on 10-01-2017, to carry out research in Botany, Biotechnology & Microbiology of Western Ghats region of Karnataka.